National Accounts and Production
National Accounts is an accounting framework which presents the operation of the nation’s economy in much the same ways business accounts describe the operation of an enterprise. Based on a set of internationally agreed concepts, definitions, and classifications and accounting rules. The main building blocks in the system of national accounts are classifications. One such classification used is the The International Standard Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities (ISIC. REV.4). The Classification system also guarantees comparability over time and internationally. An important aggregate generated from the system of national Accounts (SNA) is the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
“The System of National Accounts, 2008 (2008 SNA) is a statistical framework that provides a comprehensive, consistent and flexible set of macroeconomic accounts for policy making, analysis and research purposes. It has been produced and is released under the auspices of the United Nations, the European Commission, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank Group. It represents an update, mandated by the United Nations Statistical Commission in 2003, of the System of National Accounts, 1993, which was produced under the joint responsibility of the same five organizations. Like earlier editions, the 2008 SNA reflects the evolving needs of its users, new developments in the economic environment and advances in methodological research”.
The National Accounts of Guyana’s economy is compiled using the SNA 1993, which is subdivided into twenty-three sub-industries and classified using the (ISIC REV.4). Two of the most well-known variables produced by these accounts, and perhaps the two most requested by the public, are Gross Domestic Product and Per Capita Income.
GDP measures the productive activity taking place within the domestic economy, that is , it measures all the goods and services produced in the economy during a specified period of time (a year in this case). The GDP is the single, most widely used indicator of economic performance.
Guyana launched its rebased and revised series of national accounts in February 2010, with a new base year of 2006 for constant GDP and with current GDP revised back to 2006. In revising its national accounts, Guyana adopted System of National Accounts 1993 (SNA 1993) recommendations, moving forward from the practices of SNA 1968. In 2018 Guyana commenced another rebasing exercise which will see Guyana moving to a new base year of 2012, this process is expected to be completed soon.
Guyana’s Rebased Gross Domestic Product (GDP) Series (2012 Prices):
- Constant Gross Domestic Product at 2012 Prices ( 2007 – 2020 (xlsx 23KB)
- Current Gross Domestic Product at 2012 Prices (2006 – 2020) (xlsx – 23KB)
- Constant Growth Rate at 2012 Prices (2007 – 2020) (xlsx – 19KB)
- Current Growth Rate at 2012 Prices (2012 – 2020) (xlsx – 17KB)
- Contribution to GDP at 2012 Prices (2012 – 2020) (xlsx – 17KB)
Guyana Natural Resources:
Historical Gross Domestic Product (GDP) Series (2006 Prices):
- Constant Gross Domestic Product at 2006 Prices (2006 – 2017) (xlsx – 21KB)
- Current Gross Domestic Product – Revised and Rebased Series (2006 – 2017) (xlsx – 20KB)
- Current Gross Domestic Product by industry, 2000 to 2009 (previous series) (xlsx – 12KB)
- Current Gross Domestic Product, 1960 to 2008 (annual – previous series) (xlsx – 10KB)
- GDP, Per Capita – GNDI in US$ (2012 – 2016) (xlsx – 14KB)
- National Aggregates – Revised and Rebased Series (2006 – 2015) (xlsx – 15KB)
- National Accounts Aggregates, 2000 – 2009 (previous series) (xlsx – 15KB)
Historical Real GDP Growth Rates:
- Annual GDP Growth Rates Estimates (2006-2016) (xlsx – 14KB)
- Constant Gross Domestic Product – Real Growth Rates (total) at 1988 Prices, 1990 -2009 (xlsx – 12KB)
- Constant Gross Domestic Product & Real Growth Rates (by Industry) at 1988 Prices, 1989-2009 (xlsx – 11KB)
- Guyana GDP Half-Year Growth Rates, 2010 – 2015 (xlsx – 13KB)
Quarterly GDP Series 2012 Prices:
- Constant 2012 Prices (xlsx – 33KB)
- Constant Prices Growth Rate (xlsx – 31KB)
- Current Price Growth Rate (xlsx – 22KB)
- Current Prices (xlsx – 34KB)
Quarterly GDP Series 2006 Prices:
Overview of Guyana’s Rebased GDP:
Introduction to Quarterly GDP:
“This website was developed with the assistance of the Government of Canada through the Project for the Regional Advancement of Statistics in the Caribbean (PRASC).”